by Megan McGuire, Matthew Moreno, TSAC-F, and Robert G. Lockie, PhD, TSAC-F
TSAC Report November 2019
Vol 54, Issue 5
This article originally appeared in TSAC Report, the NSCA’s quarterly, online-only publication geared toward the training of tactical athletes, operators, and facilitators. It provides research-based articles, performance drills, and conditioning techniques for operational, tactical athletes. The TSAC Report is only available for NSCA Members. Read more articles from TSAC Report
1. Abel, MG, Mortara, AJ, and Pettitt, RW. Evaluation of circuit-training intensity for firefighters. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 25(10): 2895-2901, 2011.
2. Abel, MG, Sell, K, and Dennison, K. Design and implementation of fitness programs for firefighters. Strength and Conditioning Journal 33(4): 31-42, 2011.
3. Aisbett, B, and Nichols, D. Fighting fatigue whilst fighting bushfire: An overview of factors contributing to firefighter fatigue during bushfire suppression. The Australian Journal of Emergency Management 22(3): 31, 2007.
4. Akuthota, V, Ferreiro, A, Moore, T, and Fredericson, M. Core stability exercise principles. Current Sports Medicine Reports 7(1): 39-44, 2008.
5. Banister, EW, Good, P, Holman, G, and Hamilton, CL. Modeling the training response in athletes. Sport and Elite Performers 3: 7-23, 1986.
6. Barr, D, Gregson, W, and Reilly, T. The thermal ergonomics of firefighting reviewed. Journal of Applied Ergonomics 41(1): 161-172, 2010.
7. Choi, B, Schnall, P, and Dobson, M. Twenty-four-hour work shifts, increased job demands, and elevated blood pressure in professional firefighters. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health 89(7): 1111-1125, 2016.
8. Clayton, ND, Larkin, S, Linkul, R, Martino, M, Nutting, M, and Tumminello, N. Foundations of fitness programming. National Strength and Conditioning Association, 2015.
9. Coutts, A, Reaburn, P, Murphy, A, Pine, M, and Impellizzeri, F. Validity of the session-rpe method for determining training load in team sport athletes. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 6(4): 52, 2003.
10. Cuddy, JS, and Ruby, BC. High work output combined with high ambient temperatures caused heat exhaustion in a wildland firefighter despite high fluid intake. Wilderness and Environmental Medicine 22(2): 122-125, 2011.
11. Cuddy, JS, Slivka, DR, Tucker, TJ, Hailes, WS, and Ruby, BC. Glycogen levels in wildland firefighters during wildfire suppression. Wilderness and Environmental Medicine 22(1): 23-27, 2009.
12. Foster, C, Hector, LL, Welsh, R, Schrager, M, Green, MA, and Snyder, AC. Effects of specific versus cross-training on running performance. European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology 70(4): 367-372, 1995.
13. Hofman, JI. Tactical facilitators in firefighting. Tactical Strength and Conditioning Report (36): 2015.
14. Interior, DOT. Interagency standards for fire and fire aviation operations. 2016.
15. Micklewright, D, St Clair Gibson, A, Gladwell, V, and Al Salman, A. Development and validity of the rating-of-fatigue scale. Journal of Sports Medicine 47(11): 2375-2393, 2017.
16. Phillips, M, Payne, W, Lord, C, Netto, K, Nichols, D, and Aisbett, B. Identification of physically demanding tasks performed during bushfire suppression by Australian rural firefighters. Journal of Applied Ergonomics 43(2): 435-441, 2012.
17. Rhea, MR, Alvar, BA, and Gray, R. Physical fitness and job performance of firefighters. Journal of Strength Conditioning Research 18(2): 348-352, 2004.
18. Ruby, BC, Shriver, TC, Zderic, TW, Sharkey, BJ, Burks, C, and Tysk, S. Total energy expenditure during arduous wildfire suppression. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 34(6): 1048-1054, 2002.
19. Ruby, BC, Iii, GWL, Armstrong, DW, and Gaskill, SE. Wildland firefighter load carriage: Effects on transit time and physiological responses during simulated escape to safety zone. International Journal of Wildland Fire 12(1): 2003.
20. Sell, KL, and Livingston, B. Training considerations for wildland firefighters. TSAC Report 39: 8-15, 2015.
21. Smith, DL, Manning, TS, and Petruzzello, SJ. Effect of strenuous live-fire drills on cardiovascular and psychological responses of recruit firefighters. Ergonomics 44(3): 244-254, 2001.
22. Winwood, PW, Keogh, JW, and Harris, NK. The strength and conditioning practices of strongman competitors. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 25(11): 3118-3128, 2011.
23. Winwood, PW, Cronin, JB, Brown, SR, and Keogh, JWL. A biomechanical analysis of the farmers walk, and comparison with the deadlift and unloaded walk. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching 9(5): 1127-1143, 2014.