by Kate Lyons, D Phty and Katie Miller RD, LDN, CSCS
TSAC Report June 2017
Vol 48, Issue 6
This article originally appeared in TSAC Report, the NSCA’s quarterly, online-only publication geared toward the training of tactical athletes, operators, and facilitators. It provides research-based articles, performance drills, and conditioning techniques for operational, tactical athletes. The TSAC Report is only available for NSCA Members. Read more articles from TSAC Report
1. Bonneau, J, and Brown, J. Physical ability, fitness and police work. Journal of Clinical Forensic Medicine2: 157-164, 1995.
2. Brukner, P, and Khan, K. Brukner & Khan’s Clinical Sports Medicine. North Ryde, NSW: McGraw Hill; 828-842, 2012.
3. Burke, SA, Harms-Constas, CK, and Aden, PS. Return to work/ work retention outcomes of a functional restoration program: A multi-center, prospective study with a comparison group. Spine 19(17): 1880-1885, 1994.
4. Cheng, ASK, and Hung, LK. Randomized controlled trial of workplace-based rehabilitation for work-related rotator cuff disorder. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation 17(3): 487-503, 2007.
5. Collingwood, TR. Physical fitness standards: Measuring job relatedness. The Police Chief 62(2): 31-37, 1995.
6. Franche, RL, Cullen, K, Clarke, J, Irvin, E, Sinclair, S, Frank, J, et al. Workplace-based return-to-work interventions: A systematic review of the quantitative literature. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation15(4): 607-31, 2005.
7. Gabbett, TJ, Kearney, S, Bisson, LJ, Collins, J, Sikka, R, Winder, N, et al. Seven tips for developing and maintaining a high performance sports medicine team. Published ahead of print. British Journal of Sports Medicine, September 27, 2017.
8. Gosgtigian, GR, and Swanson, BT. Using the functional movement assessment and regional interdependence theory to guide treatment of an athlete with back pain: A case report. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 11(4): 575-595, 2016.
9. Goss, D, Christopher, G, Faulk, R, and Moore, J. Functional training program bridges rehabilitation and return to duty. Journal of Special Operations Medicine 9(2): 29, 2009.
10. Haff, GG, and Triplett, NT. Rehabilitation and reconditioning. In: Potach, DH, and Grindstaff, TL (Eds.), Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning (4th ed.) Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 523-541, 2015.
11. Lechner, DE. Work hardening and work conditioning interventions: Do they affect disability? Physical Therapy 74(5): 471-493, 1994.
12. Lyons, K, Radburn, C, Orr, R, and Pope, R. A profile of injuries sustained by law enforcement officers: A critical review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 14(2): 142, 2017.
13. Orr, R, Pope, R, Stierli, M, and Hinton, B. A functional movement screen profile of an Australian state police force: A retrospective cohort study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 17(1): 2016.