by Sarah Mros, CSCS and Jay Dawes, PhD, CSCS,*D, NSCA-CPT,*D, TSAC-F,*D, FN
TSAC Report August 2019
Vol 53, Issue 3
This article originally appeared in TSAC Report, the NSCA’s quarterly, online-only publication geared toward the training of tactical athletes, operators, and facilitators. It provides research-based articles, performance drills, and conditioning techniques for operational, tactical athletes. The TSAC Report is only available for NSCA Members. Read more articles from TSAC Report
1. Bryant, C, and Green, D. ACE’s Essentials of Exercise Science for Fitness Professionals. San Diego, CA: American Council on Exercise; 2012.
2. Byrne, J, Bishop, N, Caines, A, Crane, K, Feaver, A, and Pearcey, G. Effect of using a suspension training system on muscle activation during the performance of a front plank exercise. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 28(11): 3049-3055, 2014.
3. Calatayud, J, Borreani, S, Colado, J, Martin, F, Rogers, M, Behm, D, and Andersen, L. Muscle activation during push-ups with different suspension training systems. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 13(3): 502-510, 2014.
4. Campbell, R. Patterns of Firefighter Fireground Injuries. National Fire Protection Association. 2016. Accessed 2019 from https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/News-and-Research/Firestatistics- and-reports/Emergency-responders/ospatterns.pdf.
5. Dawes, J. Complete Guide to TRX Suspension Training. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2017.
6. Donovan, P, and Paulos, L. Common injuries of the shoulder. Diagnosis and Treatment. Western Journal of Medicine 163(4): 351-359, 1995.
7. Felstead, A, and Ricketts, D. Biomechanics of the shoulder and elbow. Orthopaedics and Trauma 31(5): 300-305, 2017.
8. Frost, DM, Beach, TAC, Crosby, I, and McGill, SM. Firefighter injuries are not just a fireground problem. Work 52(4): 835-842, 2015.
9. Gledhill, N, and Jamnick, VK. Characterization of the physical demands of firefighting. Canadian Journal of Sport Sciences 17(3): 207-213, 1992.
10. Knight, KL, Draper, DO. Therapeutic Modalities: The Art and Science. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2013.
11. Le Roy, B, Selvy, M, and Slim, K. The concept of prehabilitation: What the surgeon needs to know? Journal of Visceral Surgery 153(2): 111-115, 2016.
12. Lippert, L. Clinical Kinesiology and Anatomy. Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis Company; 2011.
13. Melrose, D, and Dawes, J. Resistance characteristics of the TRXTM suspension training system at different angles and distances from the hanging point. Journal of Athletic Enhancement 4(1): 1-5, 2014.
14. Mok, N, Yeung, E, Cho, J, Hui, S, Liu, K, and Pang, C. Core muscle activity during suspension exercises. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 18(2): 189-194, 2015.
15. Murray, I, Goudie, E, Petrigliano, F, and Robinson, M. Functional anatomy and biomechanics of shoulder stability in the athlete. Clinics in Sports Medicine 32(4): 607-624, 2013.
16. Sheaff, AK, Bennett, A, Hanson, ED, Kim, Y, Hsu, J, Shim, JK, et al. Physiologic determinants of the candidate physical ability test in firefighters. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 24(11): 3112-3122, 2010.
17. Speed, C. Shoulder pain. British Medical Journal Clinical Evidence 9: 1107, 2006.
18. Tenforde, A, Shull, P, and Fredericson, M. Neuromuscular prehabilitation to prevent osteoarthritis after a traumatic joint injury. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Journal 4(5): 141-144, 2012.
19. Terry, G, and Chopp, T. Functional anatomy of the shoulder. Journal of Athletic Training 35(3): 248-255, 2000.
20. The Economic Consequences of Firefighter Injuries and Their Prevention. Final Report. 2004. Retrieved 2018 from https:// ws680.nist.gov/publication/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=101312.
21. Valkenet, K, van de Port, IG, Dronkers, J, de Vries, W, Lindeman, E, and Backx, FJ. The effects of preoperative exercise therapy on postoperative outcome: A systematic review. Clinical Rehabilitation 25(2): 99-111, 2011.
22. Williams-Bell, F, Villar, R, Sharratt, M, and Hughson, R. Physiological demands of the firefighter candidate physical ability test. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 41(3): 653-662, 2009.
23. Zlatkin, MB. In: Barry, B (Ed.), MRI of the Shoulder. (2nd ed.) Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2003.