by Rod Pope, PhD-
TSAC Report May 2019
This article originally appeared in TSAC Report, the NSCA’s quarterly, online-only publication geared toward the training of tactical athletes, operators, and facilitators. It provides research-based articles, performance drills, and conditioning techniques for operational, tactical athletes. The TSAC Report is only available for NSCA Members. Read more articles from TSAC Report
1. Bowen, L, Gross, A, Gimpel, M, and Li, F. Accumulated workloads and the acute:chronic workload ratio relate to injury risk in elite youth football players. British Journal of Sports Medicine 51: 452-459, 2017.
2. Burley, S, Drain, J, Sampson, J, Nindl, B and Groeller, H. High load and intensity but low volume: A military training regimen that improves recruit performance. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 48(5S Suppl 1): 270, 2018.
3. Groeller, H, Burley, S, Sampson, J, Nindl, B, and Drain, J. A periodised, low volume high training load regimen reduces the rate of recruit injury within basic military training. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 48(5S Suppl 1): 270, 2018.
4. Knapik, J, Bullock, S, Canada, S, Toney, E, Wells, J, Hoedebecke, E, and Jones, B. Influence of an injury reduction program on injury and fitness outcomes among soldiers. Injury Prevention 10: 37-42, 2004.
5. Knapik, J, Hauret, K, Bednarek, J, Arnold, S, Canham-Chervak, M, et al. The Victory Fitness Program: Influence of the U.S. Army’s emerging physical readiness training doctrine on fitness and injuries in basic combat training. U.S. Army Centre for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine: Aberdeen Proving Ground, 2001. Retrieved 2018 from http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/ u2/a393391.pdf.
6. Orr, R, Knapik, J, and Pope, R. Avoiding program induced cumulative overload (PICO). Journal of Special Operations Medicine 16(2): 91-95, 2016.
7. Orr, R, and Pope, R. Optimising the physical training of military trainees. Strength and Conditioning Journal 37(4): 53-59, 2015.
8. Pope, R. Prevention of pelvic stress fractures in female army recruits. Military Medicine 164(5): 370-373, 1999.
9. Pope, R, Firman, J, and Prigg, S. Cost savings associated with injury prevention in Army basic training. In: Book of Abstracts, Fifth International Olympic Committee World Congress, 1999