by John R. Bennett, MS, CSCS,*D
TSAC Report April 2016
Vol 42, Issue 1
This article originally appeared in TSAC Report, the NSCA’s quarterly, online-only publication geared toward the training of tactical athletes, operators, and facilitators. It provides research-based articles, performance drills, and conditioning techniques for operational, tactical athletes. The TSAC Report is only available for NSCA Members. Read more articles from TSAC Report
1. Abel, MG, Sell, K, and Dennison, K. Design and implementation of fitness programs for firefighters. Strength and Conditioning Journal 33(4): 31-42, 2011.
2. Abel, MG, Palmer, TG, and Trubee, N. Exercise program design for structural firefighters. Strength and Conditioning Journal 37(4): 8-19, 2015.
3. Brown, J, and Stickford, J. Physiological stress associated with structural firefighting observed in professional firefighters. Indiana University Firefighter Health and Safety Research, Bloomington, 2009.
4. Gledhill, N, and Jamnik, VK. Characterization of the physical demands of firefighting. Canadian Journal of Sports Sciences 17(3): 207-213, 1992.
5. Henderson, ND, Berry, MW, and Matic, T. Field measures of strength and fitness predict firefighter performance on physically demanding tasks. Personnel Psychology 60(2): 431-473, 2007.
6. Holmer, I, and Gavhed, D. Classification of metabolic and respiratory demands in firefighting activity with extreme workloads. Applied Ergonomics 38(1): 45-52, 2007.
7. McLellan, TM, and Selkirk, GA. The management of heat stress for the firefighter: A review of work conducted on behalf of the Toronto Fire Service. Industrial Health 44(3): 414-426, 2006.
8. Phillips, M, Payne, W, Lord, C, Netto, K, Nichols, D, and Aisbett, B. Identification of physically demanding tasks performed during bushfire suppression by Australian rural firefighters. Applied Ergonomics 43(2): 435-441, 2012.
9. Rodriguez-Marroyo, JA, Lopez-Satue, J, Pemia, R, Carballo, B, Garcia-Lopez, J, Foster, C, and Villa, JG. Physiological work demands of Spanish wildland firefighters during wildfire suppression. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health 85(2): 221-228, 2011.
10. Von Heimburg, ED, Rasmussen, AKR, and Medba, JI. Physiological responses of firefighters and performance predictors during a simulated rescue of hospital patients. Ergonomics 49(2): 111-126, 2006.