by Lisa Stanley
NSCA Coach October 2020
Vol 7, Issue 2
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Armstrong, S, Till, E, Maloney, S, and Harris, G. Compression socks and functional recovery following marathon running: A randomized control trial. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 29(2): 528-533, 2015.
2. Barnes, M. The basic science of myofascial release: Morphologic change in connective tissue. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies 1(4): 231-238, 1997.
3. Behara, B, and Jacobson, B. Acute effects of deep tissue foam rolling and dynamic stretching on muscular strength, power, and flexibility in division 1 linemen. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 31(4): 888-892, 2017.
4. Benardot, D. Advanced Sports Nutrition: Second Ed. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2012.
5. Brown, F, Gissane, C, Howatson, G, Someren, K, Pedlar, C, and Hill, J. Compression garments and recovery from exercise: A metaanalysis. Sports Medicine 47(11): 2245-2267, 2017.
6. Connolly, D, McHugh, M, and Padilla-Zakour, O. Efficacy of a tart cherry juice blend in preventing the symptoms of muscle damage. British Journal of Sports Medicine 40: 649-683, 2006.
7. Costello, J, Donnelly, A, Karki, A, and Selfe, J. Effects of whole-body cryotherapy and cold water immersion on knee skin temperature. International Journal of Sports Medicine 35(1): 35-40, 2014.
8. Gallo, R., Plakke, M., and Silvis, M. Common injuries of longdistance runners: Anatomical and biomechanical approach. Sports Health 4(6): 485-495, 2012.
9. Glasgow, P, Ferris, R, and Bleakley, C. Cold water immersion in the management of delayed-onset muscle soreness: Is dose important? A randomized controlled trial. Physical Therapy in Sport 15(4): 228-233, 2014.
10. Healy, K, Hatfield, D, Blanpied, P, Dorfman, L, and Ribe, D. The effects of myofascial release with foam rolling on performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 28(1): 61-68, 2014.
11. Herrera, E, Sandoval, M, Camargo, D, and Salvini, T. Motor and sensory nerve conduction are affected differently by icepack, ice massage, and cold-water immersion. Physical Therapy 90(1): 581-591, 2010.
12. Hill, J, Howatson, G, Someren, K, Walshe, K, and Pedlar, C. Influence of compression garments on recovery after marathon running. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 28(6): 2228-2235, 2014.
13. Hohenauer, E, Taeymans, J, Baeryens, J, Clarys, P, and Clijsen, R. The effect of post-exercise cryotherapy characteristics: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One 10(9): e0139028, 2015.
14. Jeffreys, I. Warm-up and flexibility training. In Haff, G, and Triplett, T (Eds.), Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning. (4th ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 317-351, 2016.
15. Kerksick, C, and Roberts, M. Supplements for endurance athletes. Strength and Conditioning Journal 32(1): 55-64, 2010.
16. Lim, C, and Davies, A. Graduated compression stockings. Canadian Medical Association Journal 186(10): E391-E398, 2014.
17. Madoni, S, Costa, P, Coburn, J, and Galpin, A. Effects of foam rolling on range of motion, peak torque, muscle activation, and the hamstrings-to-quadriceps strength ratios. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 32(7): 1821-1830, 2018.
18. Nardi, M, Torre, A, Barassi, A, Ricci, C, and Banfi, G. Effects of cold-water immersion and contrast-water therapy after training in young soccer players. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness 51(4): 609-615, 2011.
19. Neubauer, O, Reichhold, S, Nics, L, Hoelzt, C, Valentini, J, Stadlmayr, B, et al. Antioxidant responses to an acute ultraendurance exercise: Impact on DNA stability and indications for an increased need for nutritive antioxidants in the early recovery phase. British Journal of Nutrition 104: 1129-1138, 2010.
20. Naperalsky, M. Exercise recovery: Science vs. practice. Presentation at the NSCA Coaches Conference, Nashville, TN. January, 2017
21. Nagaoka, I, Tsuruta, A, and Yoshimura, M. Chondroprotective action of glucosamine, a chitosan monomer, on the joint health of athletes. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 132(1): 795-800, 2019.
22. Pruna, G, Hoffman, J, McCormack, W, Jajtner, A, Townsend, J, Bohner, J, et al. Effect of acute L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine and electrolyte ingestion on cognitive function and reaction time following endurance exercise. European Journal of Sport Science 16(1): 72-79, 2014.
23. Rawson, ES, Miles, MP, and Larson-Meyer, D. Dietary supplements for health, adaptation, and recovery in athletes. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 28(2): 188-199, 2018.
24. Schaal, K, Le Meur, Y, Louis, J, Filliard, J, Hellard, P, Casazza, G, and Hausswirth, C. Whole-body cryostimulation limits overreaching in elite synchronized swimmers. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 47(7): 1416-1425, 2015.
25. Spano, M. Basic nutrition factors in health. In Haff, G, and Triplett, T (Eds.), Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning. (4th ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 175-200, 2016.
26. Stuart, A, Till, E, Maloney, S, and Harris, G. Compression socks and functional recovery following marathon running. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 29(2): 528-533, 2015.
27. Szygula, Z, Lubkowska, A, Giemza, C, Skrzek, A, Bryczkowska, I, and Dołęgowska, B. Hematological parameters, and hematopoietic growth factors: Epo and IL-3 in response to whole-body cryostimulation (WBC) in military academy students. PLoS ONE 9(4): e93096, 2014.
28. Trenell, M, Rooney, K, Sue, C, and Thompson, C. Compression garments and recovery from eccentric exercise: A 31P-MRS study. Journal of Sports Science Medicine 5(1): 106-114, 2006.
29. White, G, and Wells, G. Cold-water immersion and other forms of cryotherapy: Physiological changes potentially affecting recovery from high-intensity exercise. Extreme Physiology and Medicine 2(1): 26, 2013.