by Kelvin N. King Jr
Personal Training Quarterly October 2015
Vol 3, Issue 4
This article originally appeared in Personal Training Quarterly (PTQ)—a quarterly publication for NSCA Members designed specifically for the personal trainer. Discover easy-to-read, research-based articles that take your training knowledge further with Nutrition, Programming, and Personal Business Development columns in each quarterly, electronic issue. Read more articles from PTQ »
1. Bhat, V, and Hechtman, L. Considerations in selecting pharmacological treatments for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: A review. The Pharmaceutical Journal. Retrieved December 12, 2016 from http://www.pharmaceutical-journal. com/research/review-article/considerations-in-selectingpharmacological-treatments-for-attention-deficit-hyperactivitydisorder/20200602.article.
2. Cerrillo-Urbina, AJ, García-Hermoso, A, Sánchez-López, M, Pardo-Guijarro, MJ, Santos Gómez, JL, and Martínez-Vizcaíno, V. The effects of physical exercise in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized control trials. Child Care Health Development 41(6): 779-788, 2015.
3. Chaban, P, and Tannock, R. Brain Differences in ADHD. Retrieved September 7, 2016 from http://www.aboutkidshealth. ca/En/ResourceCentres/ADHD/AboutADHD/WhatCausesADHD/ Pages/Brain-Differences-in-ADHD.aspx.
4. Cortese, S, Ferrin, M, Brandeis, D, Buitelaar, J, Daley, D, Dittmann, RW, et al. European ADHD Guidelines Group. Cognitive training for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: Meta-analysis of clinical and neuropsychological outcomes from randomized controlled trials. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 54(3): 164-174, 2015.
5. Dahan, A, Ryder, CH, and Reiner, M. Components of motor deficiencies in ADHD and possible interventions. Neuroscience Published ahead of print. May 2016. S0306-4522(16)30199-3. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2016.05.040.
6. Diaz del Campo, DG, Gonzalez Villoraz, S, Garcia Lopez, LM, and Mitchell, S. Differences in decision-making development between expert and novice invasion game players. Perceptual and Motor Skills 112(3): 871-888, 2011.
7. Foley, D. Growing up with ADHD. Retrieved December 4, 2016 from http://time.com/growing-up-with-adhd/
8. Gil-Arias, A, Del Villar, F, Garcia-Gonzalez, L, Moreno, A, and Perla Moreno, M. Effectiveness of video feedback and interactive questioning in improving tactical knowledge in volleyball. Perceptual and Motor Skills 121(3): 635-653, 2015.
9. Hamblin, J. Exercise is ADHD medication: Physical movement improves mental focus, memory, and cognitive flexibility; New research shows just how critical it is to academic performance. Retrieved August 24, 2016 from http://www.theatlantic.com/ health/archive/2014/09/exercise-seems-to-be-beneficial-tochildren/380844/.
10. Stiles, J. Neural plasticity and cognitive development. Developmental Neuropsychology 18(2): 237-272, 2000.
11. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: The National Institute of Mental Health. 2016. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Retrieved December 2, 2016 from https://www.nimh.nih. gov/health/topics/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd/ index.shtml.