by Jonathan Kilian, CSCS, CSPS and Justin Kilian, MEd, CSCS,*D
Personal Training Quarterly November 2020
Vol 7, Issue 3
This article originally appeared in Personal Training Quarterly (PTQ)—a quarterly publication for NSCA Members designed specifically for the personal trainer. Discover easy-to-read, research-based articles that take your training knowledge further with Nutrition, Programming, and Personal Business Development columns in each quarterly, electronic issue. Read more articles from PTQ »
1. Annesi, JJ, Westcott, WL, Faigenbaum, AD, and Unruh, JL. Effects of a 12-week physical activity protocol delivered by YMCA after-school counselors (youth fit for life) on fitness and self-efficacy changes in 5-12-year-old boys and girls. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport 468-476, 2005.
2. Bandura, A. Health promotion by social cognitive means. Health Education and Behavior 143-164, 2004.
3. Behm, DG, Young, JD, Whitten, JH, Reid, JC, Quigley, PJ, Low, J, et al. Effectiveness of traditional strength vs. power training on muscle strength, power, and speed with youth: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Frontiers in Physiology 423-460, 2017.
4. Buysse, DJ. Sleep health: Can we define it? Does it matter? Sleep 9-17, 2014.
5. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Physical Activity. Retrieved from MMWR Data Highlights May 22, 2020: https://www. cdc.gov/physicalactivity/inactivity-among-adults-50plus/mmwrdata- highlights.html.
6. Dahab, KS, and McCambridge, TM. Strength training in children and adolescents raising the bar for young athletes? Sports Health 223-226, 2009.
7. Faigenbaum, AD. Strength training for children and adolescents. Clinics in Sports Medicine 593-619, 2000.
8. Faigenbaum, AD, and Myer, GD. Resistance training among young athletes: Safety, efficacy and injury prevention effects. British Journal of Sports Medicine 56-63, 2010.
9. Hoffman, JR (Ed.). NSCA’s Guide to Program Design. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2012.
10. Jacobs, LP. NSCA’s Essentials of Training Special Populations. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2018.
11. Kushner, AM, Kiefer, AW, Lesnick, S, Faigenbaum, AD, Kashikar-Zuck, S, and Myer, GD. Training the developing brain part II: Cognitive considerations for youth instruction and feedback. Current Sports Medicine Report 235-243, 2015.
12. Lesinski, M, Prieske, O, and Granacher, U. Effects and dose-response relationships of resistance training on physical performance in athletes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. British Journal of Sports Medicine 781-795, 2016.
13. Lloyd, RS, Cronin, JB, Faigenbaum, AD, Haff, GG, Howard, R, Kraemer, WJ, et al. National Strength and Conditioning Association position statement on long-term athletic development. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 1491-1509, 2016.
14. Lloyd, RS, and Oliver, JL. The Youth Physical Development Model: A New Approach to Long-Term Athletic Development. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 62-72, 2012.
15. Lubans, DR, Aguiar, EJ, and Callister, R. The effects of free weights and elastic tubing resistance training on physical self-perception in adolescents. Psychology of Sport and Exercise 497-504, 2010.
16. Myer, GD, Quatman, CE, Khoury, J, Wall, EJ, and Hewett, TE. Youth versus adult “weightlifting” injuries presenting to United States emergency rooms: Accidental versus non-accidental injury mechanisms. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2054-2060, 2009.
17. Pescud, M, Pettigrew, S, McGuigan, MR, and Newton, RU. Factors influencing overweight children’s commencement of and continuation in a resistance training program. BMC Public Health 709-718, 2010.
18. Rasch, B, and Born, J. About sleep’s role in memory. Physiological Reviews 681-766, 2013.
19. Rowland, TW. Promoting physical activity for children’s health: Rationale and strategies. Sports Medicine 929-936, 2007.
20. Santiago, LC, Lyra, MJ, Germano-Soares, AH, Lins-Filho, OL, Queiroz, DR, Prazeres, TM et al. Effects of strength training on sleep parameters of adolescents: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2020
21. Santos, LR, Araujo, SS, Vieira, EF, Estevam, CS, Santos, JL, Wichi, RB, et al. Effects of 12 weeks of resistance training on cardiovascular risk factors in school adolescents. Medicina 1-14, 2020.
22. Tavoian, D, Russ, DW, Consitt, LA, and Clark, BC. Perspective: Pragmatic exercise recommendations for older adults: The case for emphasizing resistance training. Frontiers in Physiology 11: 799, 2020.
23. Williams, C. Youth performance and fitness - Strength and conditioning information for parents. Personal Training Quarterly 2(3): 2013.
24. Zwolski, C, Quatman-Yates, C, and Paterno, MV. Resistance training in youth: Laying the foundation for injury prevention and physical literacy. Sports Health 436-443, 2017.