by Kimberly Allen, CSCS,*D, TSAC-F,*D
TSAC Report September 2019
Vol 53, Issue 7
This article originally appeared in TSAC Report, the NSCA’s quarterly, online-only publication geared toward the training of tactical athletes, operators, and facilitators. It provides research-based articles, performance drills, and conditioning techniques for operational, tactical athletes. The TSAC Report is only available for NSCA Members. Read more articles from TSAC Report
1. Betts, JA, and Williams, C. Short-term recovery from prolonged exercise: Exploring the potential for protein ingestion to accentuate the benefits of carbohydrate supplements. Sports Medicine 40(11): 941-959, 2010.
2. Brown, MA, Stevenson, EJ, and Howatson, G. Whey protein hydrolysate supplementation accelerates recovery from exercise-induced muscle damage in females. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism 43(4): 324-330, 2018.
3. Gandy, J. Water intake: Validity of population assessment and recommendations. European Journal of Nutrition Suppl 2: 11-16, 2015.
4. Nedelec, M, Halson, S, Abaidia, AE, Ahmaidi, S, and Dupont G. Stress, sleep and recovery in elite soccer: A critical review of the literature. Sports Medicine 45(10): 1387-1400, 2015.
5. Noakes, TD, Goodwin, N, Rayner, BL, Branken, T, and Taylor, RKN. Water intoxication: A possible complication during endurance exercise. Medicine and Science in Sports Exercise 7: 370-375, 1985.
6. Porth, C. Essentials of Pathophysiology: Concepts of Altered Health States. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2011.
7. Rindom, E, Nielsen, M, Kececi, K, Jensen, M, Vissing, K, and Farup, J. Effect of protein quality on recovery after intense resistance training. European Journal of Applied Physiology 116(11/12): 2225-2236, 2016.
8. Samal, JRK, and Samal, IR. Protein supplements: Pros and cons. Journal of Dietary Supplements 15(3): 365-371, 2018.
9. Shaheen, NA, Alqahtani, AA, Assiri, H, Alkhodair, R, and Hussein, MA. Public knowledge of dehydration and fluid intake practices: Variation by participants’ characteristics. BMC Public Health 18(1): 2018.
10. Simpson, NS, Gibbs, EL, and Matheson, GO. Optimizing sleep to maximize performance: Implications and recommendations for elite athletes. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports 27(3): 266-274, 2017.
11. The Best Sources of Healthy Protein. Consumer Reports on Health 30(9): 8-9, 2018.
12. Waldron, M, Whelan, K, Jeffries, O, Burt, D, Howe, L, and Patterson, SD. The effects of acute branched-chain amino acid supplementation on recovery from a single bout of hypertrophy exercise in resistance-trained athletes. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism 42(6): 630-636, 2017.
13. Wheeler, AR, and Wenke, JC. Military fractures: Overtraining, accidents, casualties, and fragility. Clinical Reviews in Bone and Mineral Metabolism 16(4): 103-115, 2018.