by Trisha Stavinoha, MS, RD, CSSD, CSCS
TSAC Report October 2017
This article originally appeared in TSAC Report, the NSCA’s quarterly, online-only publication geared toward the training of tactical athletes, operators, and facilitators. It provides research-based articles, performance drills, and conditioning techniques for operational, tactical athletes. The TSAC Report is only available for NSCA Members. Read more articles from TSAC Report
1. Baar, K. Minimizing injury and maximizing return to play: Lessons from engineered ligaments. Sports Medicine 47(suppl 1): S5-S11, 2017.
2. Baar, K. Training and nutrition to prevent soft tissue injuries and accelerate return to play. Sport Science Exchange 28(142): 1-6, 2015.
3. Consumerlab.com: Protein powders, shakes, and drinks review. Retrieved November 1, 2017 from https://www.consumerlab.com/ reviews/Protein_Powders_Shakes_Drinks_Sports/NutritionDrinks.
4. Eastoe, J. The amino acid composition of mammalian collagen and gelatin. Biochemistry Journal 61(4): 589-600d, 1955.
5. Gropper, S, Smith, J, and Groff, J. Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism (4th ed.) Belmont, CA: Wadsworth; 173, 175, 264, 2005.
6. Lodish, H, Berk, A, Zipursky, SL, Matsudaira, P, Baltimore, D, and Darnell, J. Molecular Cell Biology (4th ed). New York: W. H. Freeman; Section 22.3, 2000.
7. McIntosh, J. What is collagen? What does collagen do? Medical News Today. Retrieved June 16, 2017 from http://www. medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262881.php.
8. Shaw, G. Vitamin C-enriched gelatin supplementation before intermittent activity augments collagen synthesis. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 105:136-143, 2017.
9. USDA Food Composition Database. Retrieved 2017 from https://ndb.nal.usda.gov.